When we want to invest in quality pots and pans, which really last for many years giving good results, it is important to know well the material chosen . Cast iron and copper have marked the latest trends but their high price can throw us back; Maybe the time has come to rediscover stainless steel .
More known in pots and pans, still hesitant in the range of pans in Spain, stainless steel is an excellent material for cooking all kinds of dishes and is also very light. But to take advantage of it you have to choose the best quality and take good care of it , that’s why today we review some basic tips of use and care and leave some suggestions of stainless steel utensils for your kitchen.
To consider before cooking
If we are used to pans with non-stick coatings, stainless steel can bring us a little head. You have to get used to the idea that they are different materials and therefore have different needs .
Stainless steel responds very well to temperature variations, almost instantaneously, and is an excellent material for cooking at high power . The great inconvenience that usually leads those who use it for the first time, is that the food sticks. To avoid this, it is recommended to follow these steps:
- Place the pan or the pot in a fire of smaller diameter than the utensil.
- Heat it to medium-high power without adding anything.
- After a few moments, check that it has warmed enough by throwing drops of water, which should form “balls”.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Add the oil or butter necessary for the recipe, distributing it over the entire surface by turning the utensil.
- Lower the fire.
- Add the ingredients and cook.
How to take care of stainless steel
To extend the life of our kitchenware, you just have to follow basic maintenance care, nothing particularly complicated. It is advisable to clean pots and pans immediately after using them , without leaving food or dirt too long inside.
Cold water should never be poured over stainless steel that is still hot, and should be cleaned with soft sponges or sponges and a common, non-abrasive soap . They can be inserted in the dishwasher, although it is always more advisable to clean them by hand at the time.
They are not going to rust never -obviously-, but it is preferable to dry this material once it is clean, to avoid furrows or lime stains. Other stains that may appear are those that produce certain foods, totally innocuous, but that disfigure. To eliminate them, it is best to try a paste of baking soda and water, or with a little vinegar . The encrusted food should be removed with a firm brush but not scratch the material.
It is not necessary to cure stainless steel, although there are those who prefer to give a very light layer of oil after washing it, to better protect the surface and give more shine. Grease stains or finger marks can be cleaned with a cloth and an ordinary stainless steel cleaner, just like any other household item.
How to choose stainless steel?
Are all stainless steel cookware the same? No, we are interested in looking at the internal composition of the material: in the case of pans, above all, we are interested in multi layer . The steel heats up quickly but distributes heat badly, so the multi layer will help to better cook. In addition some brands incorporate a diffuser on the bottom.
We can also find models that incorporate aluminum or titanium precisely to improve the heat conductivity and give a more bright, resistant and robust appearance. And we will also have to make sure that they are suitable for cooking on induction ; although now we have another type of fire, we may change in the future and then we will not want to change the battery.
In the kitchen, the best stainless steel alloy is considered to be 18/10 , that is, with 18% chromium and 10% nickel. It is a very resistant steel, non-porous, very stable at high temperatures and without coatings.
Stainless steel frying pans
Since it costs more to get the pans of this material, we can try one at home and gradually incorporate more sizes to our battery if it convinces us. The size will depend on our needs ; This is a selection of interesting models:
- Skillet Mineral B De Buyer . The French brand is one of the most prestigious, specialized in high quality steel. This 24 cm frying pan is covered with a layer of protective beeswax that prevents sticking, it is ideal for pancakes, eggs and tortillas. For 31.90 euros.
- Round skille De Buyer . In this case we have a larger diameter and a specially designed surface for frying and sautéing , for 43.61 euros.
- French Connection Skillet . The same quality De Buyer pans in special edition for lovers of France, with the handle in stainless steel recreating the Eiffel Tower . The 24 cm model comes out for 30, 12 euros.
- Fissler Crispy Comfort . German house also of great prestige that has a line of pans of good quality more thought for the home. This series adds a bottom with Novogrill cooking surface to achieve crispy results, especially in meat and fish. It has scale of measures in the interior and edge antisalpicaduras. The 20 cm one comes out for around 53.16 euros.
Stainless steel pots and pans
Many will already have some pot or stainless steel casserole at home, although perhaps not the best quality. In any case they are a good starting point to familiarize yourself with this material since it is easier to cook and cook in them.
- Woll Concept pan with glass lid . The Concept series is one of the most economical and profitable of the German house Woll, of great quality. With 24 cm in diameter, this casserole holds 5 liters and includes measurements inside, for 17.99 euros.
- Pot Woll Concept Pro . This series is made with a multilayer technology that combines aluminum and steel , for optimal heat distribution. The lid can be used in three different positions, the edge is rounded to avoid spilling liquids and also includes internal measurement. They can also be inserted in the oven. The 20 cm model costs about 116.36 euros.
- Professional BRA pot . The BRA house has several models of pots and pans of high quality stainless steel, highlighting the Professional series. It has triple bottom diffuser and a design with 3/4 polished steel finish and 1/4 gloss steel. The 20 cm pot comes out for about 38.62 euros.
- WMF Provence Plus kitchen battery . In the event that we are interested in a complete battery, this WMF offer can be a good choice. It includes a pot, three low saucepans and a saucepan, all with lid and the patented Universal TransTherm base of the German brand, for a better heat distribution. The set of five pieces costs about 99 euros.
- Pressure cooker Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Supreme . The Swiss brand is another guarantee of quality. This super fast pot is a great investment if what we are looking for is a pressure cooker or espresso; Superthermic multilayer stainless steel, with 22 cm diameter and capacity of 6 liters, has a special security system and is very easy to handle and clean. It’s on offer at Amazon to 167.85 euros.
Do you have experience cooking with stainless steel ? What do you think about this material to prepare different recipes?