Frozen salmon has saved me so many times when I have absolutely nothing to make. Somehow, I always have frozen salmon steaks in my freezer. The question is, can you microwave frozen salmon? The answer is yes, yes you can. Salmon is pretty easy to defrost and make at the same time.
If you own a microwave then you are in big luck. Defrosting and cooking salmon in the microwave is the easiest thing you can do and it takes very little of your precious time, especially when you’re hungry and don’t want to wait so long for your food.
To defrost and cook frozen salmon in the microwave first place the salmon in a microwave-safe dish, ad your preferred spices and flavors like maple syrup, honey, garlic powder, lemon, salt, black pepper, butter, etc.
Cover your microwave-safe dish with its suited lid or plastic wrap(should also be microwave-safe), set the microwave on medium-high heat, and microwave for 5-10 minutes. After the time has passed, check the salmon to see if it has a nice, crispy texture and a golden-brown color.
Take the lid/plastic wrap out of the dish and microwave the salmon for another 3-4 minutes to get extra crispy. When it’s done, take a fork and stick it inside the salmon to see if it falls apart easily. If it does, then your salmon is ready to be consumed.
If you’re interested to find out more about the various ways you can prepare your frozen salmon then keep on reading the entire article.
Can You Microwave Frozen Salmon?
Frozen salmon is the easiest food to make in the microwave. Since salmon is so tender, flaky, and doesn’t take much time to cook, you don’t even have to defrost this frozen fish before cooking it. Now, how do you cook salmon in the microwave? Here is one of my favorite quick and easy recipes for the perfect microwaved salmon.
- 2 frozen salmon fillets (weighing 150 grams each).
- Lemon juice.
- Garlic Powder(optional).
- 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup.
- Pinch of salt.
- Pinch of paprika/smoked paprika(optional).
- Black pepper to taste.
- Take your frozen salmon out of the freezer and remove any ice crystals from it if there are any and pat it dry with some paper towels.
- You can leave the frozen fish at room temperature for 3-5 minutes but you don’t have to.
- Transfer to a microwave-safe dish and season your salmon with salt, pepper, garlic powder, a squeeze or two of lemon juice, maple syrup/honey, and paprika.
- Make sure to cover every inch of your fish evenly with seasoning.
- Cover the microwave-safe dish with a suitable lid, cling wrap, or microwave-safe plastic wrap, and microwave for 15 minutes at medium-high heat on your microwave setting.
- Uncover the dish and set the cooking time for 10 more minutes. Frozen salmon usually cooks for 20 minutes per pound or less.
- Enjoy your piece of cooked salmon with some roasted veggies or roasted potatoes.
Related Article: How To Reheat Sweet Potatoes In The Microwave? (3 Other Ways)]
How To Cook Salmon In The Oven
This simple method will result in a flaky salmon as your delicious meal in almost no time. All you’re going to need is a baking tray, frozen salmon fillet, a bit of lemon juice or lemon pieces, salt, pepper, and some honey. If you’re a fan of salmon, I’m sure you will love this simple recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season the frozen or raw salmon with salt, pepper, a drizzle of honey, and fresh-squeezed lemon juice.
- When your oven has been properly preheated, transfer the pieces of salmon to a baking dish or a non-stick pan, and bake for 15-20 minutes, checking occasionally.
- When you see that your salmon starts to brown a little bit and has crispy edges, that means that your piece of fish is done. The cooked salmon filet should be pink on the outside and fall apart easily.
- Enjoy this delicious dish with some side salad or roasted veggies.
[Related Article: 17 Unheard Of Onion Substitute You Should Know Today]
How To Cook Salmon In An Air Fryer
Cooking salmon in an air fryer is the easiest thing in the world. Seriously, I’ve made this recipe in an air fryer so many times when I’m in a hurry and I need a quick dinner recipe and somehow, It never disappoints me.
I usually cook a pound of salmon(frozen or fresh salmon) in an air fryer for ten minutes and I keep on checking the progress to treasure myself that it won’t overcook. Believe me, no one wants burnt or uncooked fish.
The preparation of the fish is pretty much the same since I tend to always add a little flavoring to the salmon as possible. Just a simple lemon pepper seasonings along with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup is all you’re going to need for the salmon really.
To make a perfect air fryer salmon, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, grease the pan with a little bit of olive oil or a stick of butter and transfer your salmon fillets to the air fryer pan.
Proceed to add your flavoring of lemon juice, pepper, salt, and honey/maple syrup and now it’s baking time. Leave your fish in the air fryer for 10 minutes and voila, a quick and healthy meal for any time of the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It OK To Microwave Frozen Salmon
Yes. It is completely okay to either cook or defrost frozen salmon in your microwave. To defrost salmon, set your microwave on the defrost setting and microwave the fillets for 3-4 minute intervals.
To cook frozen salmon, set the temperature on medium-high heat, add your desired seasonings to the salmon, transfer the salmon to a microwave-safe dish and cover the dish with a lid. Microwave for 10 minutes with the lid covered, and for 8-10 minutes with the lid uncovered.
Can You Cook Raw Salmon In The Microwave
Yes, you can. Microwave the raw salmon at medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until your fish has a pale pink color. If the salmon isn’t cooked after 3-4 minutes, proceed to microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
Can You Fry Frozen Salmon
It is not recommended to pan-fry frozen salmon since the outside can easily burn and the middle will be still frozen. I suggest you defrost the salmon in cold water before you do any frying.