We all know the fact that we are celebrating many special gatherings in life such as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, Christmas and more. Aside from the excitement due to the happiness that these occasions might bring, we also look forward to the food we will prepare and serve to our loved ones.
From among anything, there is actually one thing in common as we celebrated different occasions, and that is the presence of the all-time favorite cake. We all love cakes, right? So, having one during a special day is a fantastic addition to the happiness of everyone.
The Importance of Cake in Every Occasion
Occasions are the good times when tasty food and of course sweets make our day. And cakes do play a vital role in almost every celebration.
If you celebrate the birthdays of your kids, it would be great to come up with a personalized cake for them. Why? They will love the idea of a beautiful birthday celebration because of the personalized cake based on what they like the most.
Next, for those who will celebrate weddings and anniversaries, why not increase the romance and happiness through having a beautiful and delightful cake. And even for other occasions, including a cake in the menu is definitely a wise choice to add both joy and happiness to the entire celebration.
You can buy cakes, or you could make your own. And it is your choice whether what kind of cake you would want to have.
Different Cake Recipes
Indeed, there is nothing better compared to a beautiful layered cake to mark a certain occasion. Baking one might be a bit intimidating for some however things will be a lot easier if you know the right tricks and tips.
Here, I will provide you some of the best cake recipes that are intended for various occasions too.
Anniversaries are important. It is a memorable date that shouldn’t be ignored. And most importantly, it is an event that deserves to be celebrated. So, having an excellent cake could be considered. If you want to make a cake for this special day, then I have one cake recipe that will fit your needs.
For the ingredients, you need to have the following:
- 3 ½ cups of sugar
- Two cups of shortening
- Six eggs
- Six teaspoons of baking powder
Three cups of milk
- 5 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of tartar
- Four cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Three tablespoons of meringue powder
- 1/3 cup and two to three cups of water, divided
- A cup of softened butter
- A cup of shortening
- 12 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- Three teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¾ cup and three tablespoons of milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Gel or paste food coloring
- 2 ¼ cups of lemon curd, apricot filling, raspberry filling, poppy seed filling or a purchased filling based on your choice
Now let’s get it started:
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder, cream of tartar and 1/3 cup of water in a bowl. Just beat it on low speed until combined. And beat on high for about 7 to 10 minutes or up until stiff peaks form. Then keep the icing covered always using a damp cloth to avoid drying out.
- Now for the cake, line two greased 12 inches round baking pans together with waxed or parchment paper, flour and grease paper then set aside.
- Mix sugar and cream shortening in a bowl and add eggs one at a time while beating well every added egg.
- Combine the baking powder, flour and salt then add to the creamed mixture along with the milk alternately.
- Pour it into the prepared pans and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or once the inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool it for about 10 minutes before you remove it from the pans to the wire racks for complete cooling.
- For the frosting, mix the shortening, butter and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl up until well combined. Beat in the vanilla, milk and the salt until the mixture becomes fluffy and light.
- To assemble the cake, split each of the cooled cake into the two horizontal layers. Put the bottom layer on the serving plate then spread with the thin layer of the frosting.
- After that, top it with ¾ cup filling based on your choice. Then, spread the thin layer of frosting over the bottom of your next layer. You have to repeat layers two times and top it with remaining cake layer.
- Now, place the reserved white frosting in the pastry bag and pipe eight vertical columns around the sides of the cake. And put the numbers of years you are celebrating your anniversaries!
To make a birthday celebration extra special, a chocolate cake could be considered. Along with this cake is the use of colorful candles to brighten up the occasion.
Prepare these ingredients:
- 140 grams of butter
- Two eggs
- 175 grams of golden caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
- 50 grams of cocoa powder
- 250 grams of natural yogurt
For the decoration, here’s what you need:
- A tablespoon of melted butter
- 300 grams of sieved icing sugar
- Three to four tablespoons of boiling water
- Two tablespoons of sieved cocoa powder
- 50 grams of plain, white and milk chocolate
And here’s the method to follow:
- Heat the oven and butter and line the base of the 18 x 28cm cake tray or tin.
- Place the sugar, and the butter in the bowl then beat together until fluffy and light. You have to add the eggs at a time and beat well.
- In the bowl, sieve the cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and flour then tip in any bran that is left in the sieve.
- Now, pour in the natural yogurt and stir everything to make a smooth mixture and spoon it into the prepared tray or tin.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes up until just firm and once it shrinks away from the sides of the tin. Cool the tray for around 5 minutes and turn on the wire rack to cool completely.
- And for the icing, sieve the cocoa and icing sugar in the bowl then pour the butter and the two tablespoons of boiled water. Stir them together to create a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Now, spread the icing over the top of your cake with the use of a palette knife that is dipped in hot water.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolates in three various bowls in the microwave that is on a high for about a minute or on the Pan of simmering water. Once melted, spoon them into three plastic and disposable piping bags.
- After that, snip off the ends and pipe 12 simple shapes on top of your birthday cake. Just leave it to set. And before serving, you can cut the cake into 12 pieces and push in the colored candles.
Of course, wedding celebration might not be extra special if without having a cake on the table. If you want something that will make any wedding occasions memorable then why not bake this kind of wedding cake. This wedding cake comes from the Southern Mexican state of Oaxaca. And this is referred as the Oaxacan wedding cake.
The needed ingredients are the following:
Vanilla Cake Batter
- Two cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- Two teaspoons of baking powder
- ¾ cup of softened and unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 ¼ cups of sugar
- ¾ cups of milk
- Three eggs
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
Strawberries and Garnish
- Two cups of sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup of sugar
- A vanilla bean
- A cup of chopped and toasted walnuts
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- Three cups of 35% whipping cream
- Two tablespoons of strong brewed espresso coffee
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
Now, follow these directions:
- For the vanilla cake batter, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit having the rack in the middle position. Butter then line an 8-inch springform pan having a parchment paper.
- And in the bowl, combine the salt, baking powder and the flour. Then, set aside.
- Cream the sugar and the batter in another bowl. You can use an electric mixer here. Add the eggs one by one and beat the mixture until very fluffy and light. This could be around two minutes. And on low speed, add the dry ingredients with vanilla and milk alternately.
- Now, pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake it for around an hour or up until the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. After that, unmold it and completely cool on the wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the coffee Chantilly, whisk the cream with coffee, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract in the large bowl up until soft peaks form and set aside.
- And for the strawberries and garnish, simply spread the half of the coffee Chantilly right in the center of the one slice of the cake. Then, garnish it with half of the walnuts and half of the strawberries.
- Layer with the second slice of the cake and just repeat it with the remaining Chantilly. And finally, garnish it with whole and fresh walnut and strawberries.
There are a lot of holidays within the year allowing families and friends to have some time for a special gathering or party. During such days, the presence of cake shouldn’t be ignored. In fact, you can make any cake, but this Hot Cocoa Brownie Cake stands out from the rest.
I prefer this cake recipe since it could be so easy to make and you would only need the following ingredients:
- Four ounces of chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup of whipping cream
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 118.3-ounce package brownie mix
For the Marshmallow coffee frosting, you’ll need:
- Three tablespoons of cold water
- A white egg
- ¾ cup of sugar
- A teaspoon of vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
And follow these steps below:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease its bottom and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the parchment and set aside.
- You have to prepare the brownie mix based on the directions on the package. Pour it into the prepared pan.
- Bake it according to the directions on the package or up until the wooden toothpick that is inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool it completely on the wire rack. Remove the brownie from the pan and put the cooled brownie on the baking sheet.
- On the other hand, bring cream to boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Then remove from heat and add the chocolate but don’t stir. Just let it stand for about five minutes and stir until smooth.
- Chill it for around five minutes or up until it reaches the spreading consistency. Then, spread the chocolate over top of the brownies in the even layer and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Now, make the marshmallow coffee frosting. Combine the sugar, egg whites, cold water and the cream of tartar in the top of a 2-quart double boiler. You might use an electric mixer to beat the mixture on low speed for only 30 seconds.
- Put the double boiler top over the boiling water then cook while constantly beating with the mixer on high speed for about 10 to 13 minutes.
- Then remove the pan from the heat and add vanilla. Beat for around a minute or once the frosting is fluffy and holds a soft peak.
- Spread or pipe the frosting on the top of cake and chill for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake it for around 5 minutes or once lightly browned. Completely cool on the wire rack. And if desired, dust it with cocoa powder.
And finally, we all know that Christmas is one of the happiest seasons ever. With that, wouldn’t you like having a cake to make it a lot more joyous? If yes, then this Christmas cake should be considered.
Get ready to make this cake and prepare these ingredients:
- A kilogram of mixed dried fruit
- Zest and juice of a lemon and an orange
- 150ml brandy, rum, whisky and sherry
- 250 grams of softened pack butter
- 175 grams of plain flour
- 200 grams of light and soft brown sugar
- 100 grams of ground almond
- 175 grams of plain flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- A teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Two teaspoons of mixed spice
- 100 grams of flaked almond
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Four large eggs
Follow these steps below:
- In a large pan, put the zests and juice, the dried fruit, butter, sugar, and alcohol. Set over medium heat.
- Bring it to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes. Tip the fruit mixture into the large bowl then leave it to cool for about half an hour.
- Heat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. You have to line a deep 20 cm cake tray or tin along with a double layer of the baking parchment. Wrap the double layer of the newspaper around the outside and tie with string for security.
- Now, add the remaining ingredients to the fruit mixture and properly stir ensuring that there are no pockets of flour.
- Tip it into your prepared tray then level the top using a spatula and bake in the center of the oven for about two hours.
- Finally, remove the cake from the oven then poke holes in it using a skewer and spoon over two tablespoons of the chosen alcohol. You should leave the cake to cool in the tray completely.
- Remove the baking parchment to store and wrap well in the cling film. Every fortnight, feed your cake with a tablespoon or two of alcohol until you already ice it. You shouldn’t feed the cake during the final week for the surface to dry before icing.
Wrapping It Up
There you have it! Those are some of the best cake recipes that you can make during various occasions. With the right ingredients and with the steps as your guide, baking a delightful cake during special gatherings could be a lot easier. Make various occasions extra special through having beautiful and delicious-looking cake on the table.