Cheddar cheese is one of the most popular types of cheese in the world. From melting it on top of some nachos or turning it into nacho sauce, to adding it to your favorite cheese sandwich, Cheddar goes well in everything.
Do you wonder how to melt cheddar cheese in the microwave to make an amazing, gooey, cheddar sauce? Don’t worry, we got you.
To melt cheddar cheese in the microwave, grate the cheese with the smallest grater you own or cut the cheese into very small chunks, leave the grated/cut cheese at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and transfer it into a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave your pre-grated cheese on medium heat for an interval of 15 seconds and then take it out of the microwave to see the progress and stir the cheese.
Pop it in the microwave for another 15 seconds and repeat the melting process until you’ve reached the desired consistency and texture.
Make sure to follow the rest of the article to learn the important steps for melting your cheddar cheese perfectly.
How To Melt Cheddar Cheese In The Microwave
Oh, the microwave. Always there when you need to heat up some leftovers, pop some delicious popcorn, and make some quick nachos when you’re desperately in need of a to-go snack.
But, did you know that you can make some awesome cheese sauce in almost no time using a microwave? Here is what you need to know before you melt your cheddar cheese perfectly in your microwave.
What Type Of Cheese Is Cheddar Cheese?
Cheddar cheese is an orange/yellow cheese made out of cow’s milk. It is no doubt, one of the most famous types of cheeses in the world, especially in America.
Mild Cheddar has a mild nutty taste, semi-hard texture, and it is one of those types of cheeses that melt easily. Cheddar is used in making cheesy dishes like nachos, pizza, grilled cheese, mac n’ cheese, etc.
Types Of Cheddar Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – This is an aged block cheese with a sturdy, firm texture. Just like all aged cheeses, the sharpness of it really depends on how long was the aging process. Aged Cheddar cheese is usually left to age for about 6 to 9 months and has a hard texture and strong flavor, while Extra Sharp Cheddar is left for more than 2 years and has a very strong, salty taste.
- Mild Cheddar – Mild cheddar cheese is a milky, mild cheese with a creamier texture than sharp cheddar. The mild version of this type of cheese is much better for melting because of its low moisture levels(like American cheese, cream cheese, Gouda, Monterey Jack, or pepper Jack) so I strongly recommend using this type when you’re planning on making cheese sauces or simply melting it over some nacho chips.
[Related Article: 7 Best Substitute For Gouda Cheese You Never Know Existed!!]
Things To Know Before Melting Block Cheddar Cheese In The Microwave
- The smaller you grate your cheese, the better- You can either use a cheese grater for your block cheddar or cut the cheese into cubes but make sure they’re cut very small. This way, you can melt the cheese much easier and get a gooey liquid sauce. I find it best to work with shredded cheeses rather than cut-up ones.
- Grate the cheese while it’s still cold- It’s important to grate your cheese while it’s still cold out of the refrigerator and then allow the cheese to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes but not more because of bacterial growth. Place your pre-shredded cheese in a microwave-safe bowl and set your microwave on medium heat or the lowest heat. You can also add some milk or cream to make the sauce even creamier and more delicious.
- Microwave cheese with a lid on top of your dish- For your cheese to melt perfectly, and you don’t get any chunks in your sauce, cover the microwave-safe dish with an appropriate and most importantly a microwave-safe lid.
- Microwave at lowest heat or medium-power level- Melt cheese for 15 seconds and then open the bowl to stir up the cheese, and then repeat cooking time for 15 more seconds. Repeat again and again until you get the perfect melted cheese as a result.
How To Make A Gourmet, Delicious, Gooey Cheese Sauce
While melting cheddar cheese in the microwave is much easier and quicker than making a gourmet cheese sauce for nachos, plates of pasta, or some of your other favorite recipes, this simple recipe will knock your boots off when you try it.
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 100 shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 50grams crumbled blue cheese or shredded mozzarella(optional)
- 500ml warm milk(not hot milk, but warm milk)
- Grated nutmeg
- Black pepper
At medium temperature, heat butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted but not brown. When the butter has melted, slowly add the 4 tablespoons of flour with constant stirring with a wooden spoon.
You will start to see that the butter-flour mixture will start to foam and don’t worry, that’s very normal and actually exactly what you’re looking for.
Leave the flour and butter to cook for a minute until you get a melted consistency and continue to stir.
Add the warm milk slowly with constant stirring for a smooth texture with no clumps. Leave the milk to combine with the butter and flour mixture for a minute and now it’s time to add our cheeses.
Add your cheeses of choice and stir them into the mixture. Season with salt, black pepper, some freshly-grated nutmeg, and stir again to marry all of your ingredients together.
Let your cheesy sauce on the lowest heat for 10 minutes or until you get your desired texture and smooth consistency. Enjoy this sauce with some pasta, nachos, or basically with whatever you would like.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Melt Cheese In The Microwave For Nachos
Add your nacho chips to a microwave-safe bowl, grate some mild cheddar cheese on top of the chips, season with salt, some lemon juice, black pepper, jalapeno peppers, or other toppings, and place the bowl in the microwave.
Microwave for 15 seconds, and take out the bowl to see the progress. If the cheese is still not melted, continue microwaving for another 15 seconds.
Does Cheddar Melt When Heated
Yes, it does. Mild cheddar cheese is one of the best types of cheese to melt. So you can use it without no problem for your cheese sauces, on top of your nacho chips, and pizzas.
How Long To Melt Shredded Cheese In The Microwave
Microwave shredded cheese in the microwave at 15-second intervals so you don’t let your cheese get rubbery, stringy, or burned. Keep on checking the cheese and stirring.
If the cheese is not melted after 15 seconds, put it back in the microwave and microwave it for 15 more seconds.
What Cheese Melts Best In A Microwave
I would say that the best cheeses to melt in a microwave are mild cheddar, Gouda cheese, American cheese, Swiss cheese, Fontina cheese, and Monterey Jack.