Edam is one of the favorite semi-hard cheeses to have at home for any occasion. If you don’t already have it at home, don’t worry! Luckily, this cheese has many replacements that are very similar to Edam cheese.
Some of the best Edam cheese substitutes are:
- Gruyere cheese.
Stick with us till the end of this article to find out why these cheeses are the perfect substitutes for Edam.
Substitutes For Edam Cheese
Gouda is a cheese with a mild and nutty flavor. It originates from the Netherlands and it is wildly famous for its melting capabilities. It is a favorite when it comes to making pizzas, grilled cheese, pairing with crackers, and serving it on a charcuterie plate.
Types Of Gouda Cheese
This Dutch cheese has a soft and creamy texture when it’s in its early stages of maturing. As time passes and the Gouda cheese matures more and more, the mild nutty flavor intensifies and becomes more strong. That being said, I will be talking about two types of cheese: a matured Gouda, and a young Gouda.
- Matured Gouda has a wonderfully sharp and sweet taste. The resemblance to Parmigiano cheese is uncanny when the Gouda has aged appropriately. Unlike the young one, matured Gouda has a hard texture and amber/dark orange color. A matured version of Gouda can be aged for up to 4 years maximum and 18 months minimum. The flavors you might taste are sweet and sharp, almost like a butterscotch candy mixed with a little bourbon flavor.
- Young Gouda – a type of cheese that has a soft texture, nutty flavor, and faded yellow color. It is quite easy to slice since it is left to mature for only a short period of time(a couple of weeks). You can easily find any variety of young Gouda cheese in your local market. Young Gouda can be interpreted in many dishes and sandwiches that kids will love because of its mild flavor.
You surely already know of this orange cow’s milk cheese that dominates all over the world. For substitution of Edam cheese, I prefer to use mild cheddar cheese, no matter if the color is orange or pale yellow.
Mild Cheddar has the same characteristics as Edam cheese and Gouda, a mild nutty taste, semi-hard texture, and can be melted easily. Cheddar is also a favorite in cheesy dishes like pizzas, nachos, grilled cheese sandwiches, mac n’ cheese, lasagna, etc. It also can be paired with sturdy cheese-bearing crackers to make a quick snack for your children or guests.
Types Of Cheddar Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar – a cheese with a firm texture that has been left to mature, and like all aged cheeses the sharpness of it depends on how long has it been left to mature. Sharp Cheddar is usually aged 6 to 9 months and has a hard texture and strong flavor, and the Extra-Sharp Cheddar is left to for up to 2 years, giving the cheese a salty and super strong taste. I love to pair this cheese with some rice crackers and a nice dried white wine.
- Mild Cheddar – is usually aged for only 2 or 3 months and that’s why the flavor is very mild, almost milk-like. Kids love this stuff, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I love it too. Mild cheeses can melt so much better than mature cheeses and sometimes, all you want to eat is a classic bowl of Mac N’ Cheese made with this type of Cheddar cheese for lunch.
From all the other Edam cheese substitutes, Emmental is my favorite. This semi-hard Swiss cheese has a relatively high-fat content and it is quite different in looks from the Edam because it has holes all over it (this is a result of the fermentation process).
Emmental has very good melting properties, making it the perfect ingredient for your next fondue party. This yellow cheese has a nutty and buttery taste, with a trace of acidity in it.
Recipes With Emmental Cheese
- Croque Monsieur – This is a toasted French sandwich made with this particular cheese, ham, and Dijon mustard. It is considered a delicacy in France and it is served with a warm cup of coffee.
- Fondue – made from Swiss cheese and it’s served in a dish on a portable stove. The cheese is in creamy, liquid form(because it is on constant heat), and it is very fun to eat using slim and long-stemmed forks used to dip your pieces of bread in the hot gooey cheese.
- A simple grilled cheese – The most simple of all the options. You can never go wrong with a nice grilled cheese paired with tomato or onion soup.
- Pasta – Pair this tasty cheese with your favorite pasta dishes. You can melt it or use it like you would use Parmesan cheese(on top of the dishes).
- Charcuterie plate – Put your Emmental next to other kinds of cheese, some fruit (preferably with a savory flavor), crackers, and nuts.
Gruyere is a Swiss, pale-yellow, hard cheese with a granular texture. It consists of the same nutty tones and flavors that Emmental has, is very good for melting, and is an excellent table cheese. The taste is pretty sweet, with milder undertones and a salty finish.
What Can Gruyere Cheese Be Used For
- Fondue – This cheese sauce is so much tastier when it’s made with both Emmental and Gruyere cheese.
- Croque Monsieur – This is the French version of grilled cheese. Is traditionally made with a mixture of Emmental and Gruyere cheese. Sometimes the cheeses are melted into a creamy béchamel sauce and topped with a fried egg.
- Baked potatoes with cheese toppings – This recipe can be made with any cheese type, but I prefer it either with Emmental or Gruyere because I like a block of more aromatic cheese, with a stronger taste. The ingredients and recipe are simple: just halve your potatoes and bake them. Five minutes before they’re done, take them out of the oven and cover them off with some shredded Gruyere and some of your favorite toppings ( for example, I like to put some crushed bacon on top of the cheese)
Is Edam Cheese Like Cheddar
Depends on the kind of Cheddar. Mild, non-aged Cheddar cheese is similar to Edam in texture and in flavor. It can be a good substitute for any mild cheese on the market.
Is Edam A Good Melting Cheese
Yes. Edam is one of the best melting cheeses out there along with the Gouda and Cheddar.
What Is A Good Gruyere Cheese Substitute
Raclette, Emmental, Jarlsberg and Beufort are all excellent substitutes for Gruyere cheese.
Edam Cheese Uses
You can use Edam in your sandwiches, pasta dishes, grilled cheese sandwiches, nachos, and other recipes that require semi-soft cheeses.
What Does Edam Cheese Taste Like
Edam has a mild, nutty taste, with a finishing salty tone.