Having too much choice about how to cook Jamaican chicken soup can make you indecisive and even make you choose something that is not the best choice for you.
So, let me help you with this so that you can skip this bothersome part where you weigh and measure which recipe to choose. Put your trust in me and I’ll give you several recipes that will make your mouth water just from reading them.
As it was previously mentioned, there are numerous variations in which you can cook this lovely soup but I’ve carefully chosen the following three for you, proven to be absolutely delicious.
Recipe #1: Jamaican Chicken Soup – The Essential Recipe
The fact that I called this one an essential recipe has nothing to do with how yummy and heavenly this soup is. I have just wanted to point out that this is the basic one and if you know to the culinary world, perhaps you should start with this one.
- green stalk of scallion
- Pimento Berries
- Yellow yam
- packet Chicken Noodle soup
- Cilantro leaves
- fress butter
- Chicken for Jamaican chicken soup
- ½ chicken (8 chunks)
- 2 thyme (small sprigs)
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 bright green stalk of scallion
- 4 whole Pimento Berries
- ½ lb yam (yellow)
- 1 chayote (cho-cho)
- 1 packet Chicken Noodle Soup
- Few Cilantro leaves
- 1 fresh quality Butter
Steps to follow:
- Add three-quarters of water in a pot. Once it starts to boiling, add salt to taste. Now add chicken along with cho-cho. Keep it on flame for 30 minutes.
- Wash clean yam and potatoes. Next, peel off the skins.
- Fine chop the vegetable into four equal pieces. Add it to the boiling water.
- Let the vegetables boil for some time. Keep it on high flame.
- Now, it’s time to add all the remaining ingredients into the pot. Make sure you turn the flame down to medium and cook for another 10 minutes. Reduce the flame for another 5 minutes.
- Keep checking the yam, until it becomes soft. Be careful, don’t make it too soft.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Tip: To make it a healthy soup, you can add the vegetable as per your choice. You may throw fresh corn on the cob.
[Related Article: 5 Best Cookware For Gas Stoves And Buying Guide]
Recipe #2: Jamaican Chicken Pumpkin Soup – The Flavor of Heaven
If you love pumpkin then this recipe will simply knock you off your feet. Make sure you remain seated while you’re eating this gorgeous soup. The pumpkin gives this soup a bit different texture than the previous one has
Please note that I’m not being critical about the first one and I don’t have a favourite, I simply love them all. I’ve just wanted to emphasize that this one’s got a bit different texture than the first one.
- Chicken legs
- stalks celery
- chopped bell peppers
- chopped onion
- black pepper
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- chicken legs for Jamaican chicken Soup
- Water (8-9 cups)
- Chicken legs
- 3 cups Jamaican pumpkin
- 2 carrot
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 Cho-cho (chayote)
- 1 lb yellow yam
- 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 10-oz can condensed Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine the ingredients and prepare tight dough.
- Make 8-9 flat round-shaped dumplings.
Steps to follow:
- Boil water. In the boiling water, add chicken and diced pumpkin.
- Keep cooking until the pumpkin becomes tender.
- Chop celery and carrot into one-inch pieces. Peel cho-cho and fine cut into 16 pieces.
- Cook vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Eliminate chicken and let it to cool. Make sure bones are still there.
- Cut yellow yam into large cubes. Add yam and dumplings and boil for a few minutes (15 minutes).
- Add bell peppers, onion, and chicken soup to the pot.
- Season it with salt and pepper, and thyme.
- Keep whole scotch bonnet pepper on the soup. Don’t forget to cover. Now, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take off scotch bonnet pepper, thyme. You may remove some dumplings too and let chicken float properly.
- Stir well the chicken meat and serve.
Tip: To give a tangy taste to this soup, you may add a pinch of sugar into it.
Recipe #3: Jamaican Jerk Chicken Soup – The Colorful Paradise
- chicken breasts
- red pepper
- green chilies
- White onion
- Sweet potato
- Black beans
- Paprika powder
- Chili powder
- corn starch
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground nutmeg
- chicken breasts
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Water (3 cups)
- Chicken bouillon (2-3 teaspoons)
- Tomatoes (2 diced)
- Half red pepper, diced
- green chilies (4 ounce can)
- Jalapeño (2 tablespoons)
- White onion (½ cup diced)
- Sweet potato (1 cooked and diced)
- A cup of Black beans
- Well-made, full cup of brown or white rice
- A pinch of Paprika powder
- Salt as per taste
- Chili powder (optional)
- corn starch + water (2 teaspoons)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground parsley.
Steps to follow:
- Put all ingredients of seasoning in a large bowl. As this will be used for chicken marinating, it will be good if you evenly mix it.
- Marinate chicken breasts by using seasoning. (Make sure to keep some extra seasoning for soup broth).
- Put a stock pot on medium heat. Spray some oil on it. Next, cook chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes. Ensure both the sides are cooked well.
- Keep the chopped chicken pieces (1-inch) aside.
- After the addition of water and bouillon of chicken in a stock pot. Let it boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the flame.
- In the pot, stir fry tomatoes, red peppers, green chilies, jalapeños, onion, sweet potato, beans, and rice. After the vegetables begin to cook then comes the time to put spices such as paprika, salt, chili powder.
- Keep it on flame for another 10 minutes.
- To thicken the gravy and prepare it before finally serving, mix cornstarch and water in a bowl. Stir well until the cornstarch gets dissolved.
- Put this cornstarch-stock in soup and keep stirring it constantly. Allow it to thicken for 5 minutes.
A Secret Jamaican Chicken Soup Recipe for an Extraordinary Cook
I believe that the majority of you know what I’m talking about. Please don’t forget that special ingredient that you need to add no matter which recipe you’ve chosen for today – LOVE! Use it in every meal so that your meals will be as tasty as if they were made for gods.